Monday, January 11, 2010

Mind Control Remastered PRO-TIP




Welcome to the first Bill Abbott Magic PRO-TIP featuring Mind Control Re-Mastered found here on my website.


INTRODUCTION

Mind Control is an effect that I created based on a dealer item entitled Hypnotic Choice. The original product featured 3 cards with coloured 'hypno' circles on them, a coloured pencil/pen and a coin envelope to hold the cards in. The spectator would select one of the coloured cards (either red, blue or yellow) and you (the mastermind performer!) would show them that you had predicted their choice by showing an indelible prediction that was in-play from the beginning.

I liked the effect but not the props that came with the routine. I wanted something that seemed random, impromptu and spontaneous. I also wanted this to be something I could perform at a house party, client meeting or in an unplanned performance moment. I also wanted to expand the potential or possibilities to something more incredible than a 1 in 3 outcome. My solution to this was/is Mind Control.

Three things I always find I have with me 24-7 are:
1. My set of keys 2. My business cards. 3. A pen.
With this in mind I knew that if I utilized these items that were always with me, I always had the ability to perform the effect, anywhere. These are natural items found in the 'real world' and not props found in a magic shop and therefore would not excite suspicion.

Mind Control also adds to the mystery by adding to the number of objects in play (6, 10 or 20) and in addition almost all of the props that are added to the mix are borrowed, random objects.

With the props supplied in the Mind Control set (pen, key chain and business card) you have the ability to perform a powerful piece of mentalism at anytime and anywhere


MIND CONTROL ROUTINE

One (of the many) featured routines on the instructional DVD is one that I most often perform at house parties. It's a great ice breaker before starting a more formal show because it involves people and their personal belongings in an immediate way. Essentially, several objects are borrowed from the audience and laid out in a row on a coffee table or even the floor. I usually use 6 objects but you can use up to 20 or more if you like. I select someone from the group that I think has good intuitive skills and ask them to narrow down the choice of objects by calling out 'odd' or 'even'. Whatever they say, I ask whether they want to eliminate the odds or keep them. Based on their answer we do exactly as they command, so we are now down to three objects.

At this point I pick up small pad/business card/scrap piece of paper and write down the three objects left on the table and hand the paper and pen to the participant. I distance myself from the spectator and ask that they mentally select one of the three objects. Once they verify this, I ask that they put an 'X' beside the object they have mentally selected. While they are doing this I turn away. Now with my back to them I ask them if they have just selected ____________ (a particular object on the list of three). They agree that they have in fact selected that very object! You then reveal that you have had an indelible prediction in play from the very beginning that clearly predicted the object they would choose!


THE PRO-TIP

The ability to name the thought-of object before you reveal your prediction is something I have been performing for the past two years and something I have only divulged in a small handful of lecture appearances. It is a simple method, but the impact of it only drives home the idea that you truly predicted their actions and thoughts. What is it? Pencil reading. If your sphincter just tightened, loosen up and read on! In making a list of the remaining three objects on the pad/paper/card, you are actually forcing your participant to place his/her 'X' in a specific place. See photo below.


By placing a box beside each object and spacing them down the page, it is VERY easy to tell which object they place the 'X' beside especially from a distance. By noting the location of their hand and the pen on the paper, you can now easily deduce which object they are thinking of. The timing of this is crucial to the success. As soon the participant has put the pen to the paper to make his/her 'X' I immediately turn and face the opposite direction, wait a beat and ask, "Have you done that?" The distinct impression is that you had your back turned WHILE they were placing their 'X' on the paper. Now, with your back still turned, you simply ask if they were thinking of the object that you now KNOW they placed their 'X' beside, and of course they were answer, "Yes!" You then go on to reveal the indelible prediction that is featured in the Mind Control routine provided.

Until next time, think nice thoughts.

Sincerely,
Bill